You may like...

Dominant house(s) and which system rules?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Hello with my late offering for week 4 😊

This post was intended for last Friday and then presto, Mercury went retrograde. Sure enough my plans have been either set back, put on hold or abruptly changed! Also, with the current lack of planets in fire signs, has anyone else noticed their motivation at a low ebb? I’ve been counting on the transiting Moon (now in Leo) to kick ass again, so here goes…

According to the Placidus system my natal planets are scattered around 9 houses and the 5th, 6th and 10th are unoccupied. No stelliums nor close conjunctions, though the 1st and 7th both have ‘joint tenants’ vying for equal attention between the spheres of ‘self’ and ‘others’.

Shy Cancer rising ruled by the changeable Moon, is followed by 1st house Mars and Uranus trying to leap out in flamboyant Leo. Mars is the natural ruler of the feisty first, striving to be number-one and noticed, and radical Uranus reinforces a bold urge toward individuality, originality and standing out from the crowd. Together they’d burn down my chart – if they weren’t 10 degrees apart! Uranus is also slightly disenfranchised in Leo and Cancer rising acts like a wet blanket (a blessing in disguise no doubt).

On the other side my 7th house is ruled and occupied by conservative Saturn in Capricorn, joined by Jupiter in humanitarian Aquarius opposing selfish and overactive Mars. Jupiter and Saturn are both retrograde suggesting delays in the sphere of partnership. Balancing the development of assertiveness/self-awareness with the need for co-operation and learning responsibility toward others; making major adjustments via challenging personal growth process in order to enjoy harmonious partnerships; a committed love relationship likely later in life rather than sooner. Indeed, it did happen later (to the horror of my impatient younger self!)

Re the unoccupied 5th, 6th and 10th houses in the spheres of creativity, routine and goals my experience of these is having far too many projects on the go needing to be pinned down and finished with a set routine developed in order to do so and defining my most important goal and sticking to it. Jupiter squares my MC and rules the cusps of my 5th and 6th.

Re house systems I’ve always used Placidus (probably out of laziness and because it is most popular) so it’s interesting to experiment with others. Though I find that the variety of systems lends itself to confusion (and questioning the validity of houses at all).

My take is that provided we have a correct birth time, the common denominators are always the Ascendant and Midheaven, so at least the four main angles are constant. Then planets on or near (a cadent or succedent) cusp may change houses, so choose which house fits best as to which system works for your planet and you.

Uranus is one of these indicators in my chart and depending on the house system fluctuates between the 1st and 2nd. Pluto house-hops too but mostly Uranus, which feels more at home in my 1st and Pluto feels right in the 2nd. This narrows it down to Campanus, Meridian, Placidus, Porphyry, Regiomontanus and Topocentric systems to name a few…lol a few too many, think I’ll stick with Placidus for now!

Meanwhile (time permitting) I guess another way of establishing the ‘right’ system is by looking for contacts made between natal/progressed/transiting planets to the various systems’ other house cusps to see which one(s) correspond with the timing of major life events. Incidentally major events should always show contacts to Ascendant and MC. And say it’s re the birth of your first child, look to the various cusp options of the 5th. Hope this makes sense 😊

Faith
      Facilitator

Thanks for sharing your house placements Esther. I totally agree with your perspective on house systems:

My take is that provided we have a correct birth time, the common denominators are always the Ascendant and Midheaven, so at least the four main angles are constant. Then planets on or near (a cadent or succedent) cusp may change houses, so choose which house fits best as to which system works for your planet and you.

It can tie you up in knots worrying about which house system to use when there is so much of interest to explore in terms of the placement of the planets in the signs and the aspects between them.

House systems has become one of my favourite subjects, lately! Thank you, Esther, for sharing your reflections with us.

I thought I’d comment on this:

Re house systems I’ve always used Placidus (probably out of laziness and because it is most popular) so it’s interesting to experiment with others. Though I find that the variety of systems lends itself to confusion (and questioning the validity of houses at all).

I absolutely agree with you on this one. One would say if my chart can yield so many different results in terms of house placements, then who am I, really?

From what I have gathered, throughout the past centuries, different house systems have been used for different purposes. Not every house system was devised with the purpose of natal astrology in mind, and due to the fact that Astrology was largely revisited in modern terms during a time when we didn’t have access to historical texts because they were yet to be translated, we sort of started to experiment with all of those house systems arbitrarily. Don’t get me wrong, I still think that Placidus is an extremely valid house system! It still explains my upbringing and family history (Pluto in 4H in Scorpio) in a way that WSH does not. But I assume that the more “niche”/obscure systems like Koch, Porphiry, Regiomontanus and so on had little to do with natal astrology back in the day (… century). So I think that, as far as “variety” is concerned, we weren’t really supposed to have that many house systems to choose from in the first place when it comes to interpreting a person’s chart. But I’m still investigating this subject, so I’m not 100% sure either!

Thank you for your replies @admin Faith and @Cristina and hope you and yours are well :)

Yes the houses are an enigma.

Interestingly, going by the Placidus system and using my major life event re birth of first child, my progressed 5th house cusp at his birth = my ascendant 18 Cancer!

Also my progressed Moon at his birth was exactly opposite my Sun (in grand-square with natal Pluto and Chiron) and the degree of my Sun is his 4th house cusp. My progressed Moon was also in my 5th house! So was transiting Pluto

This lends some credibility to the Placidus house system. Though I have yet to explore the others.

Undoubtedly our childrens’ astrology connects with ours and knowing their birth time is a good way of being able to reconcile our own chart times (and house systems) x

Baby born 12 Oct 1991, 4:24 pm, Christchurch NZ.

Me born 27 May 1961, 10:00 am, Sydney Australia.

Faith
        Facilitator

@esther

This is very interesting Esther, and something for more advanced students to experiment with. Thanks for sharing x

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.