You may like...

mid-year chart challenge

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      livvy
      Participant

@Linda thank you for your report

I have called this mid-year chart challenge, as I thought perhaps we would leave it up till end of July, or mid July, so you have plenty of time to think about what angle you would like to take with thinking and writing about this chart

This chart belongs to a writer born at the end of the 19th century. I have included birth details (date, place, time unknown) so that you can have an opportunity to add asteroids on astro.com, if you wish.

Possible approaches for this challenge are to think about the themes this person may have written about, or what his approach to politics may have been.

I am interested to hear in particular what themes you think may have occupied this person, and what his approach to politics may have been, i.e. was he a part of the establishment, or more of an outsider?

Feel free to add dimensions, for example the character of his relationships with peers, or the dimension of inner life and emotions.

If you need to clarify anything, or think you might like to approach your reading from a completely different angle, please feel free to write on this thread, via private message, or simply to pursue your own line of inquiry :)

I wish you all the best with this challenge

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Anonymous

@livvy
      Hello. I am just going to give my short intuitive response to the chart. I realize that the birth time is unknown, so we can’t know the house positions.

My first response to this chart was intense trauma from the Scorpio conjunction of Saturn and Uranus, who are enemy planets and represent destruction of the social norm. From the date of birth I would guess this was WWI as a life changing event in general society, but perhaps for this person in shaping his/her world view, yet this must be a theme in the personal life as well.

This might be indicated by the square from Chiron in Scorpio to Venus in Leo, perhaps a great wound in romantic love, or egoic disappointment; perhaps rejection that scarred this person. Leo plus Scorpio is intense and dramatic and unforgiving. There is quite a bit of ego here, even with Sun in Virgo with the conjunction of Jupiter. Something is exaggerated and extreme, some kind of loss as well with Sun Square Neptune in Gemini.

With Pluto and Neptune in Gemini my guess is that powerful words or language or some kind of intense communication were a means of working through personal trauma. This must be a public figure so the natural guess would be radical politics [Pluto] through art or literature or drama [Neptune] as a means of personal expression of the trauma. Being traumatized by interruption of the social norm, this individual may have acted out the trauma by doing the same thing – going against the norm.

This is a very interesting challenge, and a very good exercise and I offer this short, intuitive response, but only as an exercise, and do not wish to be considered as a contestant. If it weren’t summer there would be many responses!
      Sincerely,

@Linda

livvy
      Participant

dear @linda thank you for your analysis. The name of this man is Georges Bataille, and he is probably more commonly known because of his erotic fiction, though I am not exactly sure. He was a librarian, as well, and there is a perhaps more “famous” writer, Lacan, whose partner was Bataille’s former partner, Sylvia.

I read his book ‘Eroticism’, which I found gave quite a remarkable picture of the development of human culture, as a whole – the world of work is supposed to be delimited by its general taboo on sex and death – and the world of work is the “profane” world. But the sacred world for humans is marked by its transgression of the general taboo on sex and death, which was necessary to enable a delimited world of work. In this way, taboo is seen as always a relative phenomenon in human culture, delimiting the profane and sacred worlds. I find there are at least two advantages to such a view: all of human culture is recognised for what is common between different expressions of it, instead of being ranked hierarchically, which I find quite stifling; and secondly, taboo is recognised for its organising capacity in human culture, as something which is never really absolute but rather relative to the needs of the society to organise itself around work and also showing what is sacred to that culture.

I find this quote from an article has interesting resonance with other discussions on this forum recently :)

conversely, Bataille’s understanding of language insists on the reliance of life on death, knowledge on nonknowledge, identity on difference, and not through a monistic uniting of these opposites but rather an awareness of the gap between them and an openness to the outside

http://www.parrhesiajournal.org/parrhesia09/parrhesia09_ryder.pdf

Faith @admin, @linda has said she was not interested in doing the next chart, I wonder if you Faith @admin would organise the next chart challenge?

Anonymous

Hello @livvy,

Thanks for your interesting explanation. I now recognize this individual from a long, intimate conversation in a documentary on TV. He was modest, and seemed more like a librarian than someone who attempted to shake society free of taboos. I know he was a librarian, of course, in reality, yet from his persona [he was older and reminiscing] you would never guess at his earlier radicalism!
      sincerely,

@linda

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.