You may like...

Transits that echo natal aspects

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I’m currently reading the book “Selected Topics in Chart Interpretation” by Donna Cunningham (most of her e-books are also great for beginners and not expensive at all, I recommend them!), and the chapter about transits echoing natal aspects kind of stuck with me. (Example: your chart has a natal aspect between planet A and planet B. At some point, transiting planet A forms an aspect to your natal planet B, so you have a transit that echoes the natal contact between A and B – even if the natal aspect is a square and the transiting aspect is a conjunction, the concept stays the same).
      Here’s a brief excerpt:

The transiting angle does help us to revise how we have worked with the planetary energies in the natal angle.
      Especially when these energies are used consciously through an in-depth analysis
      of the meanings of the current and natal planetary placements, the transit represents a fruitful time to upgrade how we express those energies. […] Through the pressure of the transiting hard angle, the natal promise can be fulfilled. When working with clients, I watch very carefully for transits that echo natal aspects, for they are among the most meaningful transits of all. In our session, we then spend considerable time grappling with that natal aspect and the life patterns — both selfdefeating and self-fulfilling — that they represent. If you yourself are in the process of an echoing transit, analyze that natal
      aspect thoroughly to see how you are currently using it, for the transit can be a true gift that allows you to raise your use of that natal aspect to a new level. Unlike the often overwhelming transits that represent entirely new influences — that is, combining planets that do not aspect one another natally — an echoing transit is like an old favorite song sung in a whole new key. The melody is hauntingly familiar, yet in this brand-new arrangement of the song, you discover exciting possibilities that never existed before.

Agree/disagree? Do you have personal examples of working consciously with this type of transit and unlocking the potential of the natal aspect?

Anonymous

@cristina I do not have extensive material from which to answer this question, but I would like to try and explore it. The cycles of the moon are quite rapid however today right about now I notice there is Moon in Sagittarius square Neptune in Pisces.

Neptune and the Moon are sextile to one another in my natal chart, however with this hard aspect I am feeling quite strange. With the Moon in Sagittarius square Neptune in Pisces, I think this is actually good because inward “friction” is causing me to be more open with myself about my inward life.

With the harmonious aspect in my natal chart of Neptune in Capricorn sextile Moon in Pisces, I think I tend to be quite at home with going inward with a lot of my feelings however in a sense this isolates me from being able to connect readily with others because my inward life unfiltered seems like it is quite obscure

@Liv,
        I understand your feelings about your natal Moon/Neptune aspect. Neptune is so elusive and mysterious, sometimes it renders our own feelings obscure to ourselves… Building mutual emotional understanding with others seems like a real challenge when you have Moon mashed up with Neptune.
        Anyway, there’s this simple but useful resource on the net – planetwatcher.com , I use it when I don’t feel like logging in on Astro.com and spending minutes selecting the various options and setting a date for transits. It’s just an online visual ephemeris tool, but very quick and helpful, if you know the degrees of your natal planets you can move backwards in time (even without a specific day in mind) and notice when those planets were being transited, and maybe recall themes and events from the transit date.

Antonia
      Participant

You know what @Cristina that theory of Donna Cunningham’s very much resonates with me. I often find that certain transits have little or no effect on me, and those are the transits that don’t echo natal aspects. Those transits that do echo natal aspects, however, I can feel or notice because they are part of a theme in the natal chart.

Great, thanks for weighing in, @lift-the-fog! Theories are interesting, but the best thing about them is when you can actually debate them with real people to see if they hold up in real life as well, so it’s good to know that you personally find there to be worth in this statement :)

Anonymous

@cristina thanks for the resource

Anonymous

@christina and @liv and @lift-the-fog

I have a natal Yod to my Capricorn ascendant from Gemini and Leo. It has a 1 degree and two degree orb. Right now I am experiencing a transit Yod to Ascendant Capricorn Pluto transit to natal Gemini Saturn [sixth house] and natal Leo Venus.[8th house.]

I would say that I am feeling a familiar frustration and feeling of blockage. It’s as if I can feel the dissociation of these signs and their innate lack of commonality. It’s like they don’t speak the same language, and the result is a lack of communication.

I am having a health problem [quincunx] with a knee I hurt and I am laid up – literally limping around. I am reliving some of the frustrations within my family, only this time I have a better understanding of what is going on. subjectively I see my sister as an obstructionist and oppositional to anything I ask of her, yet acted out with excuses or simply forgetting. This to me is a perfect example of a quincunx – I have no idea what I have done, or why she is punishing me with passive aggression. It’s a complete disconnect. I am in a damned if you do and damned if you don’t position. It’s all very petty, but the world revolves around details and fulfilled promises – so it’s very frustrating. If I ask her a second time, she will just have another excuse. I believe this quincunx is asking me for some kind of transcendence in solving this stalemate, which the quincunx symbolizes. It all feels very familiar.

So this is my example of reliving a natal quincunx via transit quincunx. Frustration!

Anonymous

@christina and @liv and @liftthefog and @lift-the-fog

I have a natal Yod to my Capricorn ascendant from Gemini and Leo. It has a 1 degree and two degree orb. Right now I am experiencing a transit Yod to Ascendant Capricorn Pluto transit to natal Gemini Saturn [sixth house] and natal Leo Venus.[8th house.]

I would say that I am feeling a familiar frustration and feeling of blockage. It’s as if I can feel the dissociation of these signs and their innate lack of commonality. It’s like they don’t speak the same language, and the result is a lack of communication.

I am having a health problem [quincunx] with a knee I hurt and I am laid up – literally limping around. I am reliving some of the frustrations within my family, only this time I have a better understanding of what is going on. subjectively I see my sister as an obstructionist and oppositional to anything I ask of her, yet acted out with excuses or simply forgetting. This to me is a perfect example of a quincunx – I have no idea what I have done, or why she is punishing me with passive aggression. It’s a complete disconnect. I am in a damned if you do and damned if you don’t position. It’s all very petty, but the world revolves around details and fulfilled promises – so it’s very frustrating. If I ask her a second time, she will just have another excuse. I believe this quincunx is asking me for some kind of transcendence in solving this stalemate, which the quincunx symbolizes. It all feels very familiar.

So this is my example of reliving a natal quincunx via transit quincunx. Frustration!

Iratxe Mendi
      Participant

Just yesterday I saw that Venus is squaring my natal Moon right now, and that this had to mean something, since I was feeling it…natal Moon and Venus create a quincunx in my natal chart (and so, right now, Venus is creating a trine to natal Venus and squaring the Moon). I am playing with seeing both feminine forces, discerning them, as if this trine and square could bring some light to the not so clear -at all- natal quincunx.

Thanks @cristina for sharing this discovery and all the comments as well. This helps me in grounding the meaning and experience of the transits!

I just checked the transits and it is true, Venus is also opposing natal Pluto: so, another echo :)

Then, there are other times when a planet activates a natal aspect between two planets (touching both), this could also be potent when it comes to life -and this is something that might have been addressed somewhere else in the forum-: The -another one!- quincunx between Mercury and Saturn is pretty active right now. I am seeing it and feeling it a lot. Trying to balance the body and the mind. Seeing how separated they have been most of my life. becoming conscious and bringing compassion. And Uranus is the key active force in the sky, touching both…well, do you consider semisextile transits to planets? I have experienced some, like a tender not so tender punching force, as if something were moving the natal planet. In September a semisextile was part of one of the eclipses and it was felt, some delusion released. Neptune was involved…sometimes I feel I am making it up :) By the way, there is a great contribution to semisextiles and quincunxes at http://theinnerwheel.com/…I have tried to find the actual post at the web page and now I cannot!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.