You may like...

Week 3️⃣ – Elements 🔥💧🌬️🌱

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Mindy Tchieu
      Participant

I have a question about the elements and qualities. When we are looking at the box in our chart that categorizes them, do we focus on only planets or do we include the nodes, Chiron, and the angles as well? Does the latter group hold as much weight as the planets when thinking of elemental balance, for example?

🌱 Earth
      I have the most planets in Fire, but when we factor in MC, AC and North Node, I have more Earth than the other elements. I do resonate with Earth the most. I find it easy to stay organized and stick with something. If I’m working on a project at work, for example, instead of starting it and then moving onto something else, I’d much rather see it through to the end. Even when I was moved off projects before I got to finish them, I would still wonder about how that project was doing! I also enjoy physically making and doing things with my hands, which is partly why I loved being a barista so much. Pouring latte art, stamping cups, clearing tables, even just re-arranging the pastries so they look nice– I loved all of it!

I also find that often I need a push to get going– sometimes I get caught up in detail so much that I give up rather easily because it all seems so complicated, and staying where I am is much more comfortable. As mentioned in my intro, I want to move abroad but get discouraged once I start looking into visa requirements and logistics.

Something I don’t quite understand is that I do daydream a lot, which seems counter-intuitive to all this earthiness I feel.

🔥 Fire
      I see this element most clearly when I travel. I get excited just going to the airport, and when I’m in a new place, the itinerary is pretty full and there is no stopping unless it’s food related, like sitting at a cafe or restaurant. There is no idle rest like watching TV at the hotel or sleeping in. I get impatient when I am travelling with others who don’t have as much energy or don’t have an appetite to eat as often as I’d like to. Both of my favorite travel companions happen to have Taurus moons.

💧 Water
      I experience Water through the lens of Earth. Emotions have always been harder for me to access and find myself needing to journal to access them and understand them a bit better. This is an element I want to work on nurturing. I noticed that I tend to try to tamp down my emotions when they arise, and want to work on letting them flow naturally.

🌬️ Air
      Like Water, I also experience Air through the lens of Earth. Writing or seeing some sort of physical evidence of my thoughts has always been helpful to me. I think better when I write, and try to push as much communication to email when it makes sense. I like that email gives me time to read, think, and respond, unlike a conversation where I feel pressured to respond quickly.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.

Mindy,
      what a good question! Thank you for asking, and for providing this opportunity for reflection for everybody on the forum.
      I would say, without hesitation, that angles are very important and sensitive spots in any chart. So yes, if you’re assessing the strength of a certain element, you’d definitely do well to factor them in. Paradoxically, some slow-moving planets are definitely less personal than the angles, since their placement by sign (and often degree) is shared by a huge amount of people in the same age group! Think of Neptune and Pluto, for instance. They can spend days, weeks dwelling on the same degree. Angles are unique to you.
      As for Chiron: personally, I’d include that one, too, even though some Chiron placements by sign are almost generational, in that this planetoid has a very eccentric orbit that brings it to spend up to almost a decade in the same sign.
      The Nodes… well, that’s a more complex subject. If the South Node represents an energy that is familiar to us, while the North Node is an energy we’re working towards and don’t necessarily master, should we include both? Perhaps. I tend to include them, but I don’t necessarily think the Nodal Axis holds that much weight when it comes to determining the strength of an element in the chart; I think this should be considered on a case-to-case basis.

I see this element most clearly when I travel. I get excited just going to the airport, and when I’m in a new place, the itinerary is pretty full and there is no stopping unless it’s food related, like sitting at a cafe or restaurant.

I relate to this so hard! If I could spend my whole life travelling, I would. Airports are my favourite places in the world!!!!! Almost more than forests and nature, and I LOVE being away from humans hidden away in some wood, but being in a noisy, crammed airport knowing that I’m about to visit some place I’ve never seen before is my idea of happiness. ♥

Faith
      Facilitator

@Mindy-Tchieu

Your question, which Cristina has answered so well, highlights the importance of not reading the ‘little box’ too simplistically. As Cristina points out, the outer planets are generally not as important as the Sun and Asc for example. But some outer planets, such as the Sun or Moon ruler, would have a lot more weight in some people’s charts. Also, because the North Node, Saturn and Chiron all tend to inhibit the sign they are in, this can affect the balance of the elements as well.

With regard to your other question:

Something I don’t quite understand is that I do daydream a lot, which seems counter-intuitive to all this earthiness I feel.

I think this is due to the Sun being closely conjunct Neptune.

Excellent point, Faith! I’d go as far as to say that, with a Sun-Neptune conjunction, daydreaming is kind of a direct expression of your identity and core self, Mindy. But of course, such an aspect is also going to clash against your earthiness and make you feel as though there are parts of your identity that don’t quite reflect the grounded, pragmatic characteristics of the element Earth.

Mindy Tchieu
      Participant

Thank you @cristina and @admin for your responses!

The part about Sun-Neptune makes me think I should pay attention to my daydreams more (they are just fun for me and I never think of making them a reality) if they an expression of my core self.

Faith
        Facilitator

@Mindy-Tchieu

Certainly I would be paying attention to your daydreams Mindy, maybe even writing them down, drawing or otherwise recording them X

Sue
      Mentor

Hi all-
      I love the elements!!
      Just a quick blurb about my process using them in interpretation in case it’s of value for anyone else wanting to weigh in a different perspective…
      I use the elements of the 7 traditional planets and the ASC to begin a discussion with someone about personality traits they may be “wired” to express…
      I have actually created a deck of cards for the planets and color coded elements and I physically place the planets next to the elemental grouping so people have a visual of how dominant an element may or may not be in their chart. It was super helpful for me when I was starting out to look at it this way (simple – straight forward – practical application-type conversation) and a fun way to affirm people’s experience of their personality (especially the parts that may have been dismissed through conditioning etc…) … then the conversation can evolve from there.
      Despite this very practical approach, I actually have no EARTH among these points in my own chart LOL but I do have a balance of the rest and MERCURY in LEO in the 11th (always innovating, creating, moving thoughts & ideas – which also requires an intentionally amount of meditation time to quiet that beast!:)

Faith
        Facilitator

I second Cristina’s enthusiasm Sue… I think the elements are so foundational for understanding the planets, signs and houses, so making a very visual point of this must be very helpful when a person is still coming to grips with their chart and how it impacts their personality.

I have actually created a deck of cards for the planets and color coded elements and I physically place the planets next to the elemental grouping so people have a visual of how dominant an element may or may not be in their chart.

Ok but how amazing is this??? I love this! Sue, I do definitely see a Leonine/11H mind at play here. An act of creation that emanates from you directly, which you are employing for the benefit of the collective. It’s the first time I hear about an Astrologer using this kind of method, to be honest! One would argue that there are Astrologers who combine Astrology and Tarot (I do sometimes), but this is definitely a much more creative and idiosyncratic approach that carries your imprint.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.