You may like...

Week 4️⃣ – Houses 🏘️

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Mindy Tchieu
      Participant

I was trying to figure out which house system, Placidus or Whole Signs (because it was mentioned before in other threads), felt like it was more me. For Whole Sign, I liked the idea of each planet having a friend in the house– Pluto joins Saturn in the 7th, Mars joins Venus in the 10th. In Placidus, Pluto is alone in the 6th and Mars is alone in the 11th. I was trying to see what resonated more, e.g. Pluto in the 7th or Pluto in the 6th, and the more I thought about it, the more I wasn’t sure what was actually me, or if I was trying to be what my chart said I should be!

I gave up and decided to focus on Placidus, since that’s what I’m used to. The most emphasized house in my chart is the 8th, with Sun, Moon, Mercury, and Uranus. I do enjoy occult topics, trauma, and those that are considered taboo. In my family, there’s a pressure to stick to positive thoughts and I’m often reprimanded for being “too negative” or “too dark”. My favorite conversations are those that dig deeper, where we talk about our traumas, secrets, and darker thoughts, so conversing with my family often feels suffocating to me. I just think it’s so important to have space for things that aren’t all love and light.

Next is the 9th, occupied by Neptune and Jupiter. One thing I’m having trouble understanding is the difference between houses and signs– I tend to conflate the two. For example, I was going to write about how the 9th resonates with me because personal growth and self-expansion is what I consider my life’s work, but then also wasn’t sure if that was because I’m a Sag sun.

Another thing that confuses me is that my North Node and Chiron are in the 1st house, but everything else is pretty much in the 3rd quadrant which encompasses partnerships, relationships, the other. I mentioned this in another topic, but it seems very contradictory. I’m not sure how to balance the two.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Sue
      Mentor

Hi Mindy – Using Placidus would put the South Node AND Pluto in the 7th House for you. Jeffrey Wolf Green describes this placement (I’m paraphrasing…) as a need for a person to intentionally learn to balance freedom/independence with the pull of “needing” to be relationships … perhaps your life experience so far has provided some opportunities for this kind of growth? and perhaps he offers a perspective on your question of “how to balance the two”?

Mindy Tchieu
        Participant

Thank you @sue for your insight and introducing me to Jeffrey Wolf Green! I’ve been so heavily leaning towards independence for my entire life and while I’m in a relationship now, find myself fighting against it at times and wanting to be free. I’m going to reflect on this some more and take a look at some of Jeffrey Wolf Green’s work!

Faith
      Facilitator

Hey Mindy,

I do enjoy occult topics, trauma, and those that are considered taboo. In my family, there’s a pressure to stick to positive thoughts and I’m often reprimanded for being “too negative” or “too dark”. My favorite conversations are those that dig deeper, where we talk about our traumas, secrets, and darker thoughts, so conversing with my family often feels suffocating to me. I just think it’s so important to have space for things that aren’t all love and light.

As another 8th House person I totally agree with everything you’ve written here – was it you who mentioned ‘toxic positivity’ @Cristina? I’d prefer someone to be real than to pretend that everything is ok when it’s not.

the more I thought about it, the more I wasn’t sure what was actually me, or if I was trying to be what my chart said I should be!

This is a very interesting point to bring up. It may be helpful to come from a perspective of self-observation, and then look for these patterns in our chart, rather than the other way around.

One thing I’m having trouble understanding is the difference between houses and signs – I tend to conflate the two. For example, I was going to write about how the 9th resonates with me because personal growth and self-expansion is what I consider my life’s work, but then also wasn’t sure if that was because I’m a Sag sun.

It will be both, because although we are looking at everything separately, deconstructing in order to better understand the elements of the chart, we can only really read a chart as a whole. But simplistically, your tendency toward ‘personal growth and self-expansion’ come from your Sag Sun, but the actual activities and contexts in which your express this tendency is the 9th House.

Another thing that confuses me is that my North Node and Chiron are in the 1st house, but everything else is pretty much in the 3rd quadrant which encompasses partnerships, relationships, the other. I mentioned this in another topic, but it seems very contradictory. I’m not sure how to balance the two.

At the beginning astrology can appear contradictory because you haven’t yet learned which planets in your chart are most powerful. In your chart, this is Pluto, as well as the Sun, Moon and Ascendant rulers (Jupiter and Venus).

On the other hand, both the North Node and Chiron generally show archetypes that are less developed or suppressed in the personality. In some ways you are lucky to have the North Node in the 1st House and in the same sign as the Ascendant because it is already more a part of you.

If I may ask some questions relating to the first and second houses (and feel free to answer them in your own reflections):

How do you go with self-assertion, especially stating what you need and setting boundaries?
      How do you feel about putting yourself first?
      Do you feel secure in yourself and safe in your environment?
      What is your relationship with your possessions?
      What are your ideas about property ownership?

Re Pluto moving from 6th to 7th I think the most important thing to remember here is that Pluto is the final dispositor in the chart, and he is conjunct the DC, which represents the ‘other.’ Partner relationships will certainly be impacted by this placement, whether you see it in the 6th or the 7th.

Hope this helps X

Faith,

As another 8th House person I totally agree with everything you’ve written here – was it you who mentioned ‘toxic positivity’ @Cristina?

Yes! It was me. I appreciate that you 8H folks understand this paradox better than anyone else — how can we be truly whole if we’re only supposed to raise our vibration, block out low-vibrational feelings, and only focus on love, light and stardust?

So yes, Mindy — the thing about having 8H placements is that you’re able to pull from that reservoir of shadow material that is usually repressed and pushed at the bottom, and truly experience the whole spectrum of human existence.

Another reflection that just crossed my mind — Mindy, having a North Node that points to an entirely different direction than what our chart seems to focus on is totally a thing.

Faith is definitely spot on when she writes,

On the other hand, both the North Node and Chiron generally show archetypes that are less developed or suppressed in the personality. In some ways you are lucky to have the North Node in the 1st House and in the same sign as the Ascendant because it is already more a part of you.

The North Node is not supposed to be comfortable and familiar — that would be the South Node! Seen from this perspective, your South Node is in the Third Quadrant, where most of your energy is focused; let’s say that, in this life, you’re required to stretch very much beyond your comfort zone and what is known to you, in order to grow and develop as a human being, and thus to devote some energy to the exploration of the First Quadrant. Hope this makes sense!

Mindy Tchieu
      Participant

Thank you so much @cristina and @admin for your wisdom! I am learning so much.

I love the prompts that @admin asked. I am going to journal about them, but the general answer to all of them is no and it’s difficult, which I think goes with what you both have mentioned about the placement! My dream is to some day own a home– I have a large amount of student loan debt so it’s impossible for me to get a mortgage right now. But in the meantime, I save lots of photos of homes and love looking at renovations, interior design Instagrams, etc.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.