You may like...

Week 4 – Houses

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Emma Williams
      Participant

Yes I feel the pressure of falling behind in week 4. I can see how the layers build on and each week seems that bit more complex. The questions seem simple enough but it requires real presence and deep reflection to see how to answer and this is taking big solid blocks of time for me to grasp. In saying that I do feel like I gain so much after working through what to write on the forum. Its quite a process of working hard to find understanding through so much confusion. But delightful to find that understanding means of the self as well as astrology!! Now I love the title “know yourself”…..

That doesn’t mean that what I’m about to write is going to have any clarity! oh well let’s see….

From what I can tell, the houses in my chart that are more emphasized are the 11th, 12th and the 1st. I will start with the 1st which holds Jupiter, Saturn and Mars. According to ‘Astrology-A cosmic Science’, Jupiter is in its detriment in Virgo (yet I didn’t see that on the PDF planet chart from week 1). A quote from somewhere said “disciplined approach to self development” which is certainly how I attempt to do things in this regard. Mars is in Libra which is also in it’s detriment “hindered by indecisiveness” and Saturn in Virgo which also resonates with “lack of faith in ability to work effectively which can lead to self doubt and excessive fears”. This really provided a snap shot for how I innately feel like I’ve struggled to develop a strong sense of myself. I notice vaguely a pattern running through my life of building up inspiration and motivation to grow and excel in places and I attempt to get very systematic in my approach. But I see that I eventually lose momentum and faith only to step back and stop pursuing for long periods of time. At which point I then feel like I’ve got nowhere and always back at the start. (I notice that this axis has both houses intercepted. Does that make it even harder for the expression to come forward?)

This is probably why I feel very undeveloped in some of the other houses. Particularly the 10th, having never found a calling or pathway in the world. I think I have repressed inadequacies around feeling that I’ve not been able to contribute into the world in a way that I deem valuable and fulfilling. (I should say “yet”!)

My other prominent houses appear to be the 11th with Mercury in cancer and the Sun in Cancer. I think that I have slowly grown more comfortable with this house over the years and when I think about these planets I am guessing that Mercury is quite comfortable here due to the Air element of the house. I get a strong sense that the potential of the energy placement here has to do with the sharing and expression with deep authentic feeling in my social realm to build better bonds. I do crave a sense of belonging and a need to be recognized.

The last prominent house is the shadowy 12th house with the moon in Cancer and north node in Leo. I certainly feel this house to be defined by frustration, limitation and confinement! (unfortunately) I think it is the Leo north node that struggles here. I suspect that having the moon in its ruler-ship of Cancer is favorable somehow but I can’t quite understand exactly how. I know that the moon rules the 4th house yet it represents the subconscious and past and so does the 12th house. Could that mean that there is great potential to easily access the subconscious with this placement? I find the concept of service or suffering (from Isabel Hickeys book) interesting to contemplate as I would say that I have been suffering in this house. I think a lot about service to others and the aversion that I sometimes have to giving and if that would remedy aspects of myself that I struggle with.

It is fascinating to observe the polarities of these prominent houses. With both the 1st/7th axis and the 6th/12th axis, it is difficult for me to maintain balance. I often feel that my sense of self and cultivation/development of that is in conflict with my primary relationship. One comes at the cost of the other if that makes sense. I have to step away from one to be with the other. And similar with the 6th/12th axis where I feel burdened by the endless time and energy spent on domestic duties and juggling responsibilities and there is an element of sacrificing the responsibility to self to heal and develop loving relationship to my shadow aspects.

I’m not so clear on the 5th/11th axis. But I do feel intuitively that I have had difficulty in self expression/ bringing forth creativity and really claiming it to create a sense of who I am and this does affect my feeling of belonging socially. I think if I were to develop more in the 5th house it would enrich my 11th house.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.

Emma,
      all of this is actually very clear! You put it in such a way that it’s rather effortless to gain insight into your way of experiencing these placements. Thank you!

This is probably why I feel very undeveloped in some of the other houses. Particularly the 10th, having never found a calling or pathway in the world. I think I have repressed inadequacies around feeling that I’ve not been able to contribute into the world in a way that I deem valuable and fulfilling. (I should say “yet”!)

It’s probably too soon to comment on this, but I wanted to say something about your mention of career. The first thing I’d like to stress, and not from an astrological standpoint, but from a human standpoint, is that not each and everyone of us is meant to pick a field and stick to it ’til death do us part and become the CEO of something related. Our notion of ‘career’ and ‘success’ might be a tad too shaped by what capitalism spoon-feeds us, I reckon. Astrology can actually provide invaluable clarity as far as our individual ‘career paths’ are concerned! Just by looking at your Midheaven alone, we see it falls in Gemini, which is not exactly the sign you’d look at for a clear-cut, defined, conventional career path. Gemini is multitasking and paradoxical, not to mention that your Midheaven ruler falls in Cancer, which is not exactly a worldly, success-oriented sign. When I look at your Midheaven, I see freedom to explore and heart-based choices. This might or might not mean having a career in the conventional, societally sanctioned sense of the word. In other words, if you found your niche in the world without needing to prove your worth through what is commonly considered a coveted kind of job, if you’re in love with the direction you’re pursuing whether or not it’s something society would consider “ambitious”, why feel bad? We contribute to the world with our natural gifts and inclinations, after all. I am sure you have many and that you express them whether or not you’ve turned them into a career.

I suspect that having the moon in its ruler-ship of Cancer is favorable somehow but I can’t quite understand exactly how. I know that the moon rules the 4th house yet it represents the subconscious and past and so does the 12th house. Could that mean that there is great potential to easily access the subconscious with this placement? I find the concept of service or suffering (from Isabel Hickeys book) interesting to contemplate as I would say that I have been suffering in this house.

I love talking about these two houses, so I couldn’t keep myself from commenting on this passage as well. Let’s start by saying that the 4H is far more personal than the 12H: the 4H is your own subterranean world, your ancestry, your roots, your ancestors. If I may suggest, try not to get too hooked up on your 4H when you ponder your natal Moon placement: in your natal chart, the 4H seems more of a Neptune and Jupiter affair, since Jupiter rules this house in your chart and Neptune is found in the house itself.

In modern Astrology, the 12H is thought of as the house of pre-natal experiences and collective unconscious. Planets in this house can describe your experience of developing inside the womb, the impressions and feelings you picked up from your mother, and also what parts of the collective unconscious you easily access, absorb and channel willingly or unwillingly. It describes a very distinct experience of being on your way to becoming an actual human being, yet still being enmeshed with and within the womb and lacking an individual consciousness, thus being plugged in the collective one. It’s interesting how you mention confinement, too, since in Trad Astro, the 12H is less about the collective unconscious and more about confinement, exile and isolation. I think that both significations can overlap, as sometimes ‘channelling’ certain dimensions of our awareness is something we can only do through stillness and aloneness.

Faith
      Facilitator

Hi Emma,

Firstly, please feel free to work through the material at your own pace and don’t feel pressured to ‘keep up.’ As much of this is new material for you there is a lot to absorb and it makes no sense to rush yourself. As with learning any language your chart will feel fragmented and half understood at first but will become clearer and clearer as you go along.

I will add to Cristina’s excellent differentiation of the the 4th and 12th houses by noting that you have the natural ruler of the 4th (the Moon) in the 12th and the natural ruler of the 12th (Neptune) in the 4th, so I imagine that would make them more difficult for you to tell a part. However, as Cristina points out, the difference is that the 4th House is our own personal subconscious, while the 12th is the collective unconscious. The 12th is our connection to the greater whole, to all that is. Like the crown chakra. It is where we come from before we incarnate and where we return to when we die.

Certainly having the Leo North Node in the 12th House is a challenging placement. Leo wants to individuate while the 12th House dissolves all sense of ego. Being the North Node it is quite a difficult archetype to manifest, but in the 12th House even more so. I can understand your frustration.

I notice vaguely a pattern running through my life of building up inspiration and motivation to grow and excel in places and I attempt to get very systematic in my approach. But I see that I eventually lose momentum and faith only to step back and stop pursuing for long periods of time. At which point I then feel like I’ve got nowhere and always back at the start.

Looking at your chart I think this tendency is more likely related to the square aspect between your natal Saturn and Neptune, than to the interception of Virgo/Pisces. Saturn is all about discipline but Neptune tends to drift off, especially as both are in mutable signs. You can explore this more fully in the lesson on aspects.

Your intuitive feeling that working with the ‘weaker’ house or sign in each polarity can enrich the opposite house or sign is my feeling also. The two can compete with or compliment one another, depending on how we work with them. Often when one house or sign archetype is being neglected the other will become over-emphasized and then the weaker one will become distorted in some way.

Finally, regarding your comment:

I think a lot about service to others and the aversion that I sometimes have to giving and if that would remedy aspects of myself that I struggle with.

Is it possible that you are already giving too much of yourself (for example to partner and family) and this is why you feel this aversion? South Node in Aquarius in the 6th House suggest this may be the case…

I’m glad you’re enjoying this process even as you feel a little overwhelmed. I think with time you will find that all the seeming disparate pieces will begin to fit together if you just take it one step at a time. X

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.