You may like...

Week 5 – Rulers and Nodes

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Mindy Tchieu
      Participant

I really loved this lesson and looking into the various personalities of my chart!

Chart Ruler: Venus in Aquarius, 10th
      Venus is about how we relate to one another, our capacity to attract the people and things we love and value. Venus is in the 10th house of vocation and public status, so for me, this has meant that it’s important for me to work at a place whose values align with mine and have been fortunate thus far to not have to compromise on that aspect. I also deeply cherish my relationships with my coworkers and tend to work best when on a team, versus freelancing on my own. In general, I have always been someone who is excited about going to work.

Also, I’ve always been attracted to people who are a bit offbeat and quirky, which I think is the Aquarius part, and also attracted to people who are well-respected in whatever industry or community that I am working in, which I think is the 10th house part. Also regarding Aquarius, I’ve always been interested in, and either part of, or gravitated towards, marginalized groups. If this were a major when I went to school, I would’ve definitely picked it!

Regarding aspects, at first glance, Venus seems to have difficult aspects since it is square my ascendant, Saturn, and Pluto, which is also my final dispositor. I’m not sure what this means for Venus yet, but I can guess that it means connecting with the things that I love and value can be a challenge for me. For example, I am pansexual, which is something my family doesn’t believe in, and I sometimes face negativity even amongst the queer community, where some think it’s indecisiveness.

Sun Ruler: Jupiter in Capricorn, 9th (Fall)
      Moon Ruler: Jupiter in Capricorn, 9th (Fall)

This position of Jupiter reminds me of a high school student being on a class trip abroad in a country they love. They want to wander, and experience, and be free to do what they want in this exciting country, but instead, they are bound by the teacher’s agenda and close supervision since they’re not yet an adult.

Jupiter is the planet of expansion, learning, and growth, and it is in its fall in Capricorn. The Capricorn archetype is about structure, organization, solidifying things. Jupiter is the opposite and wants to stretch beyond whatever structure, in every direction, so it’s more restrained in the sign of Capricorn. To add to the Capricorn qualities, Jupiter is conjunct my MC, which has Capricorn as the natural ruler, and also Jupiter is sextile Saturn, which rules Capricorn. It’s happy living in the 9th, which is ruled by Sagittarius, the sign that Jupiter happens to rule. The 9th house is about the different ways one can expand– foreign travel, publishing, higher education, philosophy. I think in order for Jupiter to be the fullest expression, then a more methodical, organized, hard-working approach is needed.

Jupiter conjunct my MC reminds me of careers I’ve had in the past– both a web developer and a barista. I appreciated both jobs because there was so much to learn and I still felt like I barely scratched the surface (same with astrology!). The cafe I worked at had a focus on education, so they would hold classes taught by amazing teachers, some have competed in international coffee competitions! They also had a certification program, which involved a series of tests– some written and some performance-based, where you were judged on your coffee-making skills. Having that upward trajectory of growth, learning, and validation (feeling like I “passed” coffee school with the certification program) was and still is important to me.

Final dispositor: Pluto in Scorpio, 6th (Ruler)
      Pluto is about transformation and renewal, and Scorpio wants depth. The 6th house is about day to day routine, work, service, health.

I think one of the reasons why I find myself clinging to things that I know aren’t good for me are because my Pluto is in the 6th, which governs routine. I think I get so attached to routine, and I feel comforted by the rhythm and predictability, that I don’t want anything to change.

North and South Node
      My North Node is in Taurus in the 1st house, and my South Node is in Scorpio in the 7th house. Cristina gave me a very enlightening insight the other day, and said that this life is requiring me to really stretch way beyond my comfort zone, because many of my planets are conjunct the South Node, which is what I’m familiar with. One way I see this in my current life is that I’ve spent much of my life being very envious of others who have resources from their family (parents paying for college, providing them with spending money, giving them downpayment for a house), where I haven’t had any of that support and struggle with a lot of student loan debt as a result. I love daydreaming about what it would be like if I did, and what I would do with the money, which isn’t very helpful nor realistic! So I think maybe in a past life I’ve relied on finances from a partner, given the Scorpio SN in the 7th, and in this life, I really have to figure out things for myself, and do it by myself, even though it’s harder, which is what the NN is about.

Faith
      Facilitator

Hey Mindy, I love seeing all the elements of astrology coming together in your mind as the weeks go by!

I will address each of your ‘personalities’ in turn:

Chart ruler: Venus in Aquarius, 10th
      My husband has this placement, which I find refreshingly detached and lacking in melodrama. He is also naturally polyamorous.

Having the chart ruler in the 10th House is significant; it denotes likely success. However with squares to Pluto, Saturn and the Ascendant there is challenge in getting there! With your passion for working with marginalised communities this could look like becoming a public advocate for human rights or refugees or running an online network facilitating social change.

I’m a Venus square Pluto person as well and we share an unconventional sexuality. The additional square to Saturn may have created a self censoring inner voice that perhaps shames you for your sexual orientation, especially when you were younger, however the placement in Aquarius would have helped a lot with self-acceptance.

Sun and Moon Ruler: Jupiter in Capricorn, 9th (Fall)

This position of Jupiter reminds me of a high school student being on a class trip abroad in a country they love. They want to wander, and experience, and be free to do what they want in this exciting country, but instead, they are bound by the teacher’s agenda and close supervision since they’re not yet an adult.

This is indeed a tough combination! But I think you are correct when you say that “in order for Jupiter to be the fullest expression, then a more methodical, organized, hard-working approach is needed.” I think about your dream to live overseas and the burden of your student debt: Cap has the stamina and self discipline to slowly but surely, achieve your objective, overcoming each obstacle one by one.

Final dispositor: Pluto in Scorpio, 6th (Ruler)

Pluto can definitely get us hooked into self destructive routines and habits. In the 6th House square Venus in the 10th there might also be a tendency to encounter power struggles or jealousy in the workplace. How wide is the orb of the square to Venus?

North and South Node

One way I see this in my current life is that I’ve spent much of my life being very envious of others who have resources from their family (parents paying for college, providing them with spending money, giving them down-payment for a house), where I haven’t had any of that support and struggle with a lot of student loan debt as a result. I love daydreaming about what it would be like if I did, and what I would do with the money, which isn’t very helpful nor realistic! So I think maybe in a past life I’ve relied on finances from a partner, given the Scorpio SN in the 7th, and in this life, I really have to figure out things for myself, and do it by myself, even though it’s harder, which is what the NN is about.

I love this interpretation of your nodal axis. And I think you get the gist of what your North Node in Taurus is trying to show you. Building your material life up from the very ground may be hard work but it can also be an extremely rewarding and satisfying experience.

Mindy Tchieu
        Participant

Thank you for all of your insights @admin! I feel very hopeful and inspired!

To answer this:

Pluto can definitely get us hooked into self destructive routines and habits. In the 6th House square Venus in the 10th there might also be a tendency to encounter power struggles or jealousy in the workplace. How wide is the orb of the square to Venus?

After taking the Aspects course, I now realize that the orb is a bit too wide at 10 degrees. However I do find power struggles in the workplace, especially my job in tech, where I work with predominantly white males. At my last job, it felt like each time I wanted to get my work approved (usually there’s a code review process and one person must review it), it was such a battle!

Faith
          Facilitator

I’m glad my input has been helpful Mindy. I prefer to see the potential in the natal chart rather than the problems. Challenges to be overcome, rather than things set in stone.

Re Pluto in the 6th I think this placement can manifest as either being empowered in the workplace, or as being overpowered in the workplace. Much has to do with your own level of awareness and of the workplace you have chosen.

X

Mindy, Faith has been so incredibly thorough and insightful in addressing this, so I’ll just comment briefly to acknowledge your contribution and share my views!

What an interesting Venus placement and condition you have. As Faith said, it’s definitely auspicious to have this planet in such an elevated position, and in the Tenth House to boot; it suggests that you will definitely become known for your Venusian qualities, perhaps for your knack for harmonization, diplomacy and championing the right of marginalized communities as well.

Of course, as Faith noted, with Saturn and Pluto challenging your Venus it doesn’t surprise me to hear that you have previously encountered challenges in expressing this pleasure-loving, graceful archetype. (Interestingly enough, this week’s bonus lesson covers that specific subject. You should all receive it within the next couple days). At the very least, we could say you’re somehow tasked to work with and through boundaries, standards, cyclic renewal and compulsion. But the final outcome of this process is very likely to result in a more defined and transparent grasp of your needs in relationships, what you bring to the table and the many ways in which relating can transform you. I also embrace the label pansexual as well as bisexual — I think both definitions represent me, whereas pansexual sounds more inclusive perhaps, which also represents me. It baffles me how anyone could think that being open to having relationships with anyone regardless of their bodies or identities can be compared to being indecisive! I hear you, and let me stress that your orientation is absolutely valid and not at all meaningless.

I think we’re seeing some very clear expressions of Jupiter transiting Capricorn both on a personal and collective level, which, of course, can provide plenty of insight as far as the natal version of this combination is concerned.

Personally, ever since Jupiter went into Capricorn, I find that topics like education and expansion in an intellectual sense (not to mention that I basically stopped travelling or could even count on my fingers the number of times I left the house in the first place, since that happened. You know, national lockdown and stuff) require a truckload of work!!! At the same time, I feel only called to study a subject if it bears concrete, career-oriented implications for me. I would say that this can definitely work in your favour, since this is your natal placement: working provides you with access to expansive experiences, and, in turn, you might have a talent for maximizing those experiences and the knowledge they provide in a way that is conductive to your professional growth. This paragraph from your post sums it up quite clearly, I’d say:

The cafe I worked at had a focus on education, so they would hold classes taught by amazing teachers, some have competed in international coffee competitions! They also had a certification program, which involved a series of tests– some written and some performance-based, where you were judged on your coffee-making skills.

Pluto in the Sixth House in Scorpio sure is a complex placement to handle, too, but I feel that there can be an enormous release of power once you harness this force purposefully! I think that one thing we often overlook is that our 6H placements can also speak of the qualities we can bring to the table in order to serve humanity in the most effective way. This is all the more interesting when we bring the square to Venus into the picture — establishing a sort of connection between what is elevated, visible, authoritative, and what takes place in the day-to-day life of people. As we know, systemic oppression is subtle and insidious and it produces the most devastating effects in terms of daily occurrences, routine, access to resources and things that we (and by ‘we’ I am really referring to my fellow white peeps) take for granted. Scorpio, on the other hand, brings reproductive health and rights to mind, and the two things do intersect in many contexts even in the so-called Western world. I think this is a cause that could help you channeling your passion for justice in very effective and pragmatic ways, transforming yourself and the world in the process. It’s merely an example of the possibilities that this placement can yield, and I’m sure you can come up with more suitable possibilities and a richer understanding once you start delving deeper into the significance of this placement!

Mindy Tchieu
      Participant

Thank you so much for your wisdom @Cristina!

It baffles me how anyone could think that being open to having relationships with anyone regardless of their bodies or identities can be compared to being indecisive!

I completely agree!

I also love what you said about Pluto in the 6th, and 6th house planets in the context of service. Definitely something I’m going to explore further.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.