You may like...

Week 6️⃣- Aspects 📐

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Mindy Tchieu
      Participant

Hello! Here is my homework on Week 6, the Aspects. For this exercise, I wanted to focus on what I find the most challenging aspects in my chart– squares to Mars and the Sun-Neptune conjunction.

Mars in Aquarius (11th) square Saturn in Scorpio (7th) – 3 degree orb
      Saturn is about discipline, order, and limitations, which challenges my Mars in Aquarius, which I picture as wild, weird, and free. I think that deep down, I have always wanted to be unique in some way, but really struggle with expressing myself. Growing up as a first-generation Chinese in the U.S., I was teased in school for being different, so all I wanted to do was fit in and be like the others– look more Western, eat American food, dress like the other kids in school. It wasn’t until after I got into yoga and wellness, and saw white practitioners embrace Chinese healing modalities like acupuncture, that I started to appreciate my culture and slowly unpack all the internalized racism against my own kind. The fear is still there as an adult and I feel pressure to conform especially in a group, to be agreeable and safe, otherwise I might not be accepted or liked.

Mars in Aquarius (11th) square my North Node in Taurus (1st) – 1 degree orb
      I think the challenge here for me is to embrace more Mars values like leadership and action in order to fully walk my North Node path. Speaking up and being assertive is something that is not easy for me, and something I have to work up the courage to do. Also finding a community where I can be myself without fear or judgement, and centered around things that I feel passionate about, like social justice, would be a good start for me.

Neptune in Capricorn (9th) conjunct Sun in Sagittarius (8th) – 2 degree orb
      I think these two make an odd team. Sun in Sagittarius is about learning, travel, and levity. Whereas, Neptune in Capricorn is in its fall, so it’s not as strong here, and seems to have opposing desires. Neptune is about transcending, dreaming, and nebulousness and Capricorn wants reality, status, and goals. One way I experience Sun conjunct Neptune is a lack of clarity around who I am, and what my purpose is. I also find myself prone to escapism and daydreaming. Fantasizing about things is sometimes enough and I don’t actually do anything about it, which makes me think about Mars again.

I think if these planets are to work together, maybe making sure both of their needs are met would be a good start. In another forum topic, Faith and Cristina mentioned a creative outlet just for me, so for example, if I were to pick up a hobby, it could be something that I think is fun, creative, exploratory, personal, and tangible, to satisfy both planets and their placements, like making collages of my daydreams. Maybe it would be beneficial, since Neptune is in Capricorn, to create more structure and ritual around my spiritual practices, for example, doing Qigong more consistently. One other thing I have been trying to do lately is validating my intuition, which I think would also be a good example of Sun and Neptune working together.

AnhP
      Mentor

Hi Mindy!

Thanks for sharing your interpretation of your chart’s major, challenging planetary aspects.

Your take on Mars in Aquarius square Saturn in Scorpio natal aspect resonates with how I have experienced my Venus in Aquarius (8H) square Moon in Scorpio (5H) natal aspect. Also, in my chart, Saturn in Leo (2H) is widely opposite my Venus in Aquarius (8H). The latter combinations have generated for me experiences of myself in relation to others similar to what you shared.

Being a foreigner of minority ethnic background, while growing up at first in Russia and later in the U.S., I struggled with feeling accepted by others, and with finding where I belong, whether I spoke their language or not. At times, I tried dissociating from my own roots (leaving them untended), denying my self-worth, as a way of adjusting to (emulating) the culture of societies in which I have lived, in order to find acceptance.

Only after I learned more about world cultures, including my own, and after learning about human nature, I eventually grew more confident in the notion that I (each of us), just like everyone else, bring my (our) own unique touch to life and to people in my (our) community, whether we are all of same racial/ethnic/cultural origin or not. Life experiences slowly led me to recognize the value of everyone’s point of view, whether I agreed with them or not. I also developed the understanding that if someone does not like what I stand for, how I look and behave, and/or the fact that I exist, it is not my issue to address. My (our) only purpose is to shine our own light and the best version of ourselves we can, while we have the opportunity (vitality) to do so. Diversity enriches the world, and makes it the beautiful place that it is, when everyone recognizes each other’s value.

With your NN in Taurus in 1H, it appears your purpose is to recognize your self-worth and be at peace with who you are, despite the pressures you may feel from Saturn in Scorpio (7H) and Mars in Aquarius (11H). Giving to others can feel good, but acceptance and belonging begins with giving to (valuing) ourselves. The golden goose and the egg story is a point in fact – that to be able to give to others we must first tend to our own needs. With my SN and my Sun’s ruler Jupiter in Taurus in 11H, I have found Eastern cultures of particular help in finding where I belong and what is of value to me in life. On a side note, I associate Taurus particularly with “Buddha”, as the archetype in which “he” attained enlightenment. For me, his “story” exemplifies the kind of transformation that seems essential for one to see through the facade that keeps humanity from soaring beyond its current limits.

Faith
      Facilitator

Hello Mindy,

Firstly, my apologies for the slow reply. I have had a few things come up that I have been juggling in the past week and I wanted to give your reflections the attention and time they deserve.

So, let’s look at the three aspects you have decided to explore…

Mars in Aquarius (11th) square Saturn in Scorpio (7th) – 3 degree orb

I love how you describe Mars in Aquarius as “wild, weird, and free”. It’s a very accurate for this combo.

This aspect can really undermine your motivation to get out into the world, strut your quirky stuff and affect change for the future and humanity. Saturn would have you curling up in a ball of angst and contemplating your belly button at worst, at best becoming completely bound by interests in inner work and personal consciousness development. Neither of these sit well with Mars in Aquarius.

Out of the two archetypes, Aquarius and Scorpio, Scorpio is by far the stronger party. This is because the final dispositior is Pluto, you have a packed 8th House and the South Node is in Scorpio. However Aquarius contains both Mars and Venus so it’s a likely contender. As for the planets, neither of them is particularly raised or brought low by their sign placement so this is a fairly even playing field, but Saturn slightly has the upper hand.

If you wish to strengthen your Mars, the first thing is to get active! An I mean in the most physical sense of the word. Physical work, exercise and martial arts strengthen Mars. Secondly, explore the archetype of Aquarius and brainstorm ways that you can bring this energy more into your life. Joining virtual and real life community groups and networks is a good starting point, as is participating in any kind of action for social change. You have already been doing this.

To bring Saturn down a peg, get in the habit of listening to your internal dialogue. As you have already noted so much of what we think is not helpful to our own progress in life and the fulfilment of our potential. The ‘internalized racism’ you mention is a great example of this. Your descriptions of growing up Chinese in the US show an appreciation of how the external voice of authority (Saturn) can become our own inner saboteur. Becoming aware of undermining self-talk and slowly replacing these thoughts with constructive ones can be extremely helpful.

Mars in Aquarius (11th) square my North Node in Taurus (1st) – 1 degree orb

With Saturn in wide conjunction to the South Node, this is also a wide t-square.

I think the challenge here for me is to embrace more Mars values like leadership and action in order to fully walk my North Node path. Speaking up and being assertive is something that is not easy for me, and something I have to work up the courage to do. Also finding a community where I can be myself without fear or judgement, and centered around things that I feel passionate about, like social justice, would be a good start for me.

Definitely! Also, because the Taurus archetype is the one that wants to find expression in you in this lifetime, hands-on, practical action, rather than intellectual contributions is probably going to prove more fulfilling and helpful for you in resolving this tension.

Neptune in Capricorn (9th) conjunct Sun in Sagittarius (8th) – 2 degree orb

I think these two make an odd team. Sun in Sagittarius is about learning, travel, and levity. Whereas, Neptune in Capricorn is in its fall, so it’s not as strong here, and seems to have opposing desires. Neptune is about transcending, dreaming, and nebulousness and Capricorn wants reality, status, and goals. One way I experience Sun conjunct Neptune is a lack of clarity around who I am, and what my purpose is. I also find myself prone to escapism and daydreaming. Fantasizing about things is sometimes enough and I don’t actually do anything about it, which makes me think about Mars again.

This describes this combo very well, especially your description of Neptune in Capricorn. Neptune in Capricorn is about dissolving structure which can make it hard to build anything with that magic Sun power of yours. Mutable Sag doesn’t help much in this regard, he’s pretty happy to let it all crumble and start something new. On the plus side, Neptune in Capricorn is more able to see that the structures of our society and status quo are not an inherent but a built reality if you know what I mean…

Your intuition is correct that drawing on and strengthening Mars will help this dynamic function more positively. Drawing on and strengthening the focus and passion of Pluto will also help. This is because the sextiles to these two planets offer support for the expression of the conjunction. Find what you are passionate about and get active! Then the magic of Sun conjunct Neptune, which is inspired creativity, empathy and compassion in action, can be expressed.

I think if these planets are to work together, maybe making sure both of their needs are met would be a good start.

Yes!

In another forum topic, Faith and Cristina mentioned a creative outlet just for me, so for example, if I were to pick up a hobby, it could be something that I think is fun, creative, exploratory, personal, and tangible, to satisfy both planets and their placements, like making collages of my daydreams.

Yes! This could actually be a powerful magical process for you as it is working to bring something intangible and divine into concrete reality. The New Moon is a good time to work with this kind of practice and having this once a month date would create the structure and ritual you mention, which I think would indeed be very helpful

One other thing I have been trying to do lately is validating my intuition, which I think would also be a good example of Sun and Neptune working together.

Yes! Even though this is out of sign and Neptune isn’t that happy in Cap, this is fundamentally a well aspected and powerful placement. Just a little more complex to handle than some.

It’s great to see you really putting the dots together with your chart and gaining some great insights into your personal inner dynamics. Although I may be a little slow at times I am more than happy to continue working with you, and everybody else, as you complete the course in your own time.

X Faith

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.