You may like...

what would be the framework you give to others using astrology

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      livvy
      Participant

what would be the framework you give to others using astrology?

If a friend was beginning to learn about astrology, how would you express the framework you use, or things you have come to realise about using astrology, for yourself, that could be helpful for them?

Anonymous

The way I am learning, and it’s very slow, is not so much a framework but more a learning style; I am a very eclectic learner. I am finding Evolutionary Astrology very interesting. I have books but tend to watch videos and listen to recordings more than reading. My theory is that if I am listening through headphones it will activate the right brain more. I tend to see what I am drawn to in a chart and focus on finding information on those bits and ruminate on them; often using visualisation. I try to imagine and get a feel for the energies from the perspective of ‘as above, so below’. I feel this is more in alignment with my N Node Pisces. As said earlier it’s a slow process but I’m using it for personal integration and self-understanding rather than for reading other peoples charts.

Anonymous

Thanks for that explication Chris, it was very interesting to me. The first time my chart was drawn up was when I was sixteen and I’ve had many astrologer friends, I attend classes whenever possible with a terrific Australian Astrology teacher, but I would never feel as if I could advise others on their charts, the domain is far too complex and intricate for my humble mind. So your words are consoling to me as well as interacting. Salute! Apeetha Arunagiri

AnhP
      Mentor

@Livvy, I can relate to how @Chris-Fitz approaches the process of developing her knowledge of astrology in layers and to her primary reasons for learning astrology, for self-realization purposes.

@Livvy, I think the answer to your question will depend on your friend’s current perspective on life and how she perceives of various life phenomenon. My understanding is that one’s approach to learning (astrology) is often based on what we already know, to what ways of looking at things we might be receptive, and for what reason(s) we seek to pursue, in this case, the knowledge of astrology.

If your friend is open (i.e. mentally and intuitively/emotionally/spiritually attuned to life), she might enjoy learning astrology by perceiving of it as a timeless scientific art that can enable one to see beyond physical reality into the energetic dimensions of (human) life. This way of looking at it might reveal that each individual (as their natal chart defines) is made up of various mixtures of archetypal energies that make him/her the unique person that s/he is, or rather can become, once s/he lets go of, i.e. transcends (usually, socially imposed) “fears” and restrictions.

If your friend has reservations about the utility and validity of astrology, but is willing to stay open-minded as she inquires into what it is and how it works, then she might want to read or view on YouTube some “objectively” presented information that offers a multi-sided view of the origins, history, and evolution of astrology, to get a general perspective and then delve into whatever aspects of astrology that may attract her attention/intuition.

Of course, along the way, it would help her to master the basics, such as data on planetary, archetypal, other symbols, terminology, and the concepts that various types of astrologers use in conveying their astrological interpretations. So, she can follow the “logical” and then relate to the “intuitive” aspects of astrology. This way she can slowly begin to grasp the meaning of what specific astrological phenomenon represent to her in the context of her daily life (past, present, and future).

Hope these tips help. At least, I’ve found these approaches useful as I incrementally become aware of astrology’s nuanced nature and its uses in staying afloat amid the range of conscious and subconscious experiences life can bring over time (of course, depending on the choices one makes, consciously or subconsciously, for reasons within or beyond one’s control).

Iratxe Mendi
      Participant

Hello @livvy and @chris-fitz, @apeetha-arunagiri and @anhp,

I guess this is a key question to ask and address when one gets in touch with astrology. I just posted a topic that (I feel) relates to this one. In her own way: the way we connect to the map.

There is not much to add to the rich answers you already got. Just a couple of notes from my own experience or view in case it might help you:

At times I feel that I have been relating to her in a pretty messy way. With no order and reverence: too many blogs and Internet searches…which creates a different structure, it loosens it up. It is harder to integrate the wisdom. So, even if I am not talking about the framework, I would recommend her to build strong and healthy foundations and roots, as always in life I guess. The basics, books…mp3s – I have also worked this way but never occurred to me that this way it was going to enter more into the right side of the brain. It does make sense. Voice helps a lot to ground and embody, isn’t it?

Here it all started in a much more organic way, since I guess my key intention was to connect to those cycles of time, to archetypes. It was not so conscious though. And I might be mis-remembering. Right now everything is reconfiguring or reformatting, finding her new place…and I am repeating myself…again :)

@livvy, having a friend who takes care of our initial steps with/in astrology is a gift. Beautiful.

Anonymous

Hello @livvy and @chris-fitz, @apeetha-arunagiri and @anhp,and @Iratxe.

Thank you all for your interesting insights. first of all, I will talk about obstacles I have encountered, just in case, a beginning student might also feel these conflicts after a while. These conflicts for me because I am a Gemini and kind of double minded, yet always looking to reconcile what seems to be a contradiction, or looking for logic.

As many people, my ideas of heaven and earth were formed by the church, which includes a great prohibition against astrology. Often I have been called to account by believers who know that I am very interested in astrology, either that or scoffed at by my scientific minded friends. These condemnations exist, sometimes coming from the most unlikely quarters, especially from people who know little about astrology. Sometimes the condemnations come from within as we try to reconcile astrology with our religious training, or with the scientific fact that our earth is not the center of the solar system.

I would tell my novice friend how I have attempted to reconcile these religious and scientific challenges, and even though I am not a scientist or historian, I have made a holistic theory of my own. I have learned so much from astrology, and it has increased my vocabulary for experiencing life, so I have accepted it as a real measure. but how does i work.

My Scientific speculation:

The earth centered zodiac is the biggest Problem. So I thought, what if we are measuring a larger force that also influences the planets as they circle around the Sun. For example, if we look at a temperature gauge or thermostat, and we didn’t know any better, we might assume that these instruments themselves were causing the rise and fall in temperature, when they are really registering changes in a larger force – the weather. I speculated that perhaps the planets rather than being the cause of changes, are like the cyphers on a gauge, and are registering a larger cause, as yet unknown and identified. But they somehow register this force in a predictable way, but they are not the cause. So this was I can release my mind from the geocentric model. I might tell a beginner my speculation, if they have trouble with the scientific inaccuracy of astrology.

Religion and belief in God.

We know that astrology has an ancient history beginning in Mesopotamia, long before Judeo Christianity. At first it was practical, and like an almanac for agricultural planting and harvest and measuring the seasons. It was one with Astronomy. Then through time, migrations and sharing of knowledge, astrology became a means of not only measuring seasons, but also people and events. It became enriched through mathematics and religion both, just as our current scientific thought grows through experiment and discovery.

I believe that astrology was in the beginning a gift from God, to assist human being navigate their practical affairs. It was not to replace God, but like like the plants, and animals and natural resources that God provided for humans, but required work and study to cultivate. In fact, Astrology coexisted with God until the enlightenment. Gothic Cathedrals are decorated with the glyphs and images of astrology. I have seen medieval Calendars with the Zodiac signs floating through the sky.

But then the church saw astrology as a competitor and conducted a witchhunt against astrology, burning books, and exiling astrological knowledge as diabolical. I think knowing about the witch hunts in europe, tells us a lot about the fate of astrology, and how it was marginalized to the shadows and stripped of its natural place in society. A psychologist once told me that Astrology was the first psychology or attempt to understand human behavior, but it was sent underground by the powers of the Church.

So I would tell my beginning freind this historical perspective, how astrology once coexisted with the Church.This would be to help them with conflicts they may have with their religious training. It places astrology within the tradition of knowledge, and not as some diabolical invader in competition with God.

This how I had to sort it out. thanks for listening.
      @Linda

Anonymous

Hello @livvy and @chris-fitz, @apeetha-arunagiri and @anhp,and @Iratxe.

Thank you all for your interesting insights. first of all, I will talk about obstacles I have encountered, just in case, a beginning student might also feel these conflicts after a while. These conflicts for me because I am a Gemini and kind of double minded, yet always looking to reconcile what seems to be a contradiction, or looking for logic.
      As many people, my ideas of heaven and earth were formed by the church, which includes a great prohibition against astrology. Often I have been called to account by believers who know that I am very interested in astrology, either that or scoffed at by my scientific minded friends. These condemnations exist, sometimes coming from the most unlikely quarters, especially from people who know little about astrology. Sometimes the condemnations come from within as we try to reconcile astrology with our religious training, or with the scientific fact that our earth is not the center of the solar system.
      I would tell my novice friend how I have attempted to reconcile these religious and scientific challenges, and even though I am not a scientist or historian, I have made a holistic theory of my own. I have learned so much from astrology, and it has increased my vocabulary for experiencing life, so I have accepted it as a real measure. but how does i work.
      My Scientific speculation:
      The earth centered zodiac is the biggest Problem. So I thought, what if we are measuring a larger force that also influences the planets as they circle around the Sun. For example, if we look at a temperature gauge or thermostat, and we didn’t know any better, we might assume that these instruments themselves were causing the rise and fall in temperature, when they are really registering changes in a larger force – the weather. I speculated that perhaps the planets rather than being the cause of changes, are like the cyphers on a gauge, and are registering a larger cause, as yet unknown and identified. But they somehow register this force in a predictable way, but they are not the cause. So this was I can release my mind from the geocentric model. I might tell a beginner my speculation, if they have trouble with the scientific inaccuracy of astrology.
      Religion and belief in God.
      We know that astrology has an ancient history beginning in Mesopotamia, long before Judeo Christianity. At first it was practical, and like an almanac for agricultural planting and harvest and measuring the seasons. It was one with Astronomy. Then through time, migrations and sharing of knowledge, astrology became a means of not only measuring seasons, but also people and events. It became enriched through mathematics and religion both, just as our current scientific thought grows through experiment and discovery.
      I believe that astrology was in the beginning a gift from God, to assist human being navigate their practical affairs. It was not to replace God, but like like the plants, and animals and natural resources that God provided for humans, but required work and study to cultivate. In fact, Astrology coexisted with God until the enlightenment. Gothic Cathedrals are decorated with the glyphs and images of astrology. I have seen medieval Calendars with the Zodiac signs floating through the sky.
      But then the church saw astrology as a competitor and conducted a witchhunt against astrology, burning books, and exiling astrological knowledge as diabolical. I think knowing about the witch hunts in europe, tells us a lot about the fate of astrology, and how it was marginalized to the shadows and stripped of its natural place in society. A psychologist once told me that Astrology was the first psychology or attempt to understand human behavior, but it was sent underground by the powers of the Church.
      So I would tell my beginning freind this historical perspective, how astrology once coexisted with the Church.This would be to help them with conflicts they may have with their religious training. It places astrology within the tradition of knowledge, and not as some diabolical invader in competition with God.
      This how I had to sort it out. thanks for listening.
      @Linda

Faith
      Facilitator

Hello @livvy, @iratxe, @chris-fitz, @apeetha-arunagiri and @anhp

Personally I have found the archetypes to be the most useful framework for both understanding and explaining astrology to others. We all contain these universal aspects of self, for example the mother, the father, the sabateur, etc, and they are also reflected in the charts.

I have never been too bothered by astrology’s lack of scientific accuracy. For me this is not the point. Rather we use astrology’s symbolism to see ourselves more clearly and to move beyond the limits of ourselves.

Astrology for me is in no way fatalistic but a model that is dynamic and responsive to our conscious (and unconscious) thoughts and actions.

AnhP
      Mentor

Hello Faith!

Great to hear from you – welcome back!

We’ve missed you much…

Look forward to resuming our inspiring conversations on this Forum.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.